Monday, April 20, 2009

judging Rp's

First of all everything said here about deadlines is spot fucking on...

I wanted to talk about judging Rp's and how I feel about Rp's in general. Rp'ing each character is different, they all have a different backstory and point of view.

So let's say we have a guy who's Rp's make me laugh while I'm reading them and are really witty and funny, and then I read the other guy's promo and it's just a solid read...I give it to the first guy right?

Well not so fast, because the first guy may be playing a sarcastic smart ass heel type, and the other guy might be playing an all-business kind of face...How can I be fair to the face when his character can't do what the heel does...He's not supposed to engage me and make me laugh, he's supposed to sell me on the fact that he's a legit wrestling talent and that once all this wise cracking and tomfoolery of promos is done, he's going to get to the business of working this punk ass bitch in the ring and giving him a lesson he won't forget.

I kind of view it as a dog show, a pug and a golden retriever are not compared to each other, they are compared to what the judge sees as being as the 'ideal' of that breed's standard. Think of all the 'breeds' we have in wrestling. All the different kinds of faces (Anti-Heros, White Knights, comic faces, bad ass 'cool' faces. etc) and heels (Monster heels, pyscho heels, chicken shit Doc-ian heels, ego heels, rich guy heels etc) It's really hard to compare one to another, but it's more of a question of 'how is this guy playing his role in this match'

Like Born Again is a chicken shit heel, 7-10 is a pyscho heel. Jimmy Donovan is a White Knight, J1D is a Cool Face...They have a 4 way match, how do I pick a winner? I can't just take J1D's wacky antics and give him the win cause he's entertaining. If Donovan's promo is really good at getting over his character and his motivations, it has to be taken from that frame of reference, I mean unless he's getting on a rant about banging hookers or something, I shouldn't expect anything more then a glib one-liner for Donovan, the meat of his message is that he's a double tough son of a bitch from Oklahoma who's gonna kick your ass.

And by the same token 7-10's promo should be about how he's fucking nuts...And still wants revenge on Walter Ray...Born again should be railing against vices and peddling his snake oil...The promo should just be a way of telling the story of your character, and how he sees things in this match.

Barring all this just write a dream sequence and throw shit at the wall...

No comments:

Post a Comment