Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Doc Silver Shoot Interview Part 1

(Note: anyone named in this interview is being named only because their character used the same name as they have.)

(FADEIN: Doc Silver sitting in front of a small "Shooters DVD" banner, only his upper body can be seen, he's wearing a black T-Shirt with 'Garbage' in red letters across the chest. He's being asked questions by an off camera voice.)

Q: So how did you get started in the business?

DOC: Well I'm just a goof off...I mean my parents are loaded and I know this, and they spoil me rotten, so like I can do anything and it's fine, I'll never have to work a day in my life, but one day I got the bug to go into wrestling so they pay for this school in Florida, the Grappler's Clinic, and I get in there and I'm put through the paces.

Q: What was it that drew you to wrestling?

DOC: The idea of performing in front of big crowds, that lifestyle appealed to me, so I spent like 5 years working in indies in Florida, I didn't do the whole 'go around America' thing...Fuck that...I mean I wanted to hit it big, but I wasn't going to be sleeping in my car or wasting my parents money doing that of stuff, not getting disowned by them was job one.

Q: So when did you get your break?

DOC: PYBA called, and they liked my Florida stuff, that was my first in to the business, I come in and beat "Red Hot" Jeff Ruxus with a clothesline off the top in like 7 minutes, was a big deal to me.

Q: Who gave you the Doctor nickname?

DOC: I did, I really don't know why, I just figured heels are named Doctor, and I'm a heel, so let's just roll with it...

Q: Really didn't have that well a defined gimmick at the time.

DOC: Not at all, no clue what I was doing in the business.

Q: So what happened in PYBA?

DOC: Well I didn't know it at the time, but it was holding it's last ever card, and I was booked on it in a sort of 'get a bunch of mid-carders together and let 'em earn a payday' Wargames kind of match with me and three guys I can't remember and we're fighting Sunburn and 3 guys I can't remember...And it's just this non-stop shittalk fest between me and Sunburn and we're flipping out and geezus did we have heat on each other.

Q: Was it legit heat?

DOC: No I didn't even know the guy at all, but we're just screaming and yelling at each other and like, at this point in my career I don't know anything, I've just fallen off the turnip truck really and there's this one guy on my team who's not doing a lot of promos, so I have him get beaten up by this guy Gary Pederson. I had no idea, but Gary was in tight with the booker...So like this whole match has been me and Sunburn...Suddenly I get Gary in the match, and they book it so I lose to Sunburn and Gary carries my team to the win...Unreal.

Q: Must have been pretty suprising.

DOC: Oh it was...But what can you do? League's gone so there's nothing to say or do then, so I join a few leagues...AAWC was one of them, I get into some smaller league that has Sunburn in it also...

Q: This was about the time you won the US Title off Marcus Price

DOC: That was a bit later, but yeah, after I mid-card for a while I get the US Title push and go over Price...

Q: What was Price like?

DOC: Great guy, taught me a bunch of stuff, really cared about details, the little things matter in this business.

Q: So what happened in the Sunburn league?

DOC: Well I get a World Title shot against Sunburn, and this is my moment, I'm gonna win a belt, blah blah blah, and Sunburn doesn't even promo for the show...Shows up to the event wasted out of his mind, and in spite of all of this, I have to put him over...Now I might be a mark at this point, but even I know this is bullshit...So I'm pissed as hell and ready to leave the company but the Prez calms me down, and they run a world title tournament and I go over and get the belt...Place closed up a little while after that...

Q: You ever see or hear from Sunburn again?

DOC: No, I have no idea what happened to him.

Q: Was this around the first time in CSWA?

DOC: I think this was 96 yeah...I won Ultratitle, and like again, I'm a mark, I'm a moron, I think I got the business knocked, I show up, I cut promos...And my promos sucked, I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm an idiot, but I just do these things and I win world titles I win Ultratitle, I'm just a machine.

Q: So what had it all fall apart in CSWA?

DOC: I was fighting Mike Randalls for the strap, and a week or so before the show happens, they already have flyers going out for the next show and it lists a Mike Randalls title defense on it, and I'm pissed as hell, I mean I'm mostly angry I'm gonna job, but I'm also angry that I'm going to job and there is no drama to it. So I talk to management and they tell me 'yeah you're doing the job, we're sorry the other show's card leaked' and I throw a fit and quit the league like a hot headed moron, and am called a coward for ducking Randalls and am seen as an unprofessional dick by most of the guys in the locker room, but again, I'm a moron at this timee.

Q: You know that the CSWA deny telling you that you were jobbing.

DOC: (Shrugs) They can say what they want, at that point in my career I was a moron, if they gave me any hope what so ever that I'd win the CSWA Title, I'd have shown up at the arena, no doubt about it. I was a rube.

Q: So what led to your first AAWC World Title run?

DOC: Well what happened is there was this big blowoff to the Battleship/Adler fued, I forget if there was a third man in the match or not, but Battleship went over, and right after he went over management changed in AAWC, and Schmid got the book. Now everyone knew Ship and Schmid were tight, and it just so happens that I'd been booked for a title shot after the PPV, almost assuredly I was gonna get crushed by whoever won the belt, or so I figure the orginal booking would go. Now Schmid's got the book however and the whole locker room is on edge, cause they know if he puts Ship over me, that this is how it's gonna go, that Ship's going to be unstoppable with the booker in his back pocket. Steel Viper was around at this time and he was promising me that he was leaving the league if Ship won.

Q: How did Battleship handle all of this?

DOC: Ship was pissed man, he'd spent all that time fueding with Adler and he finally gets the belt and now he's got to lose it or the company is going to be sunk credibility wise and he knows it. And Ship was a big guy, I mean he was legit seven foot, I don't know if he was 7'6" or whatever the hell they said he was, but he was huge, so I was pretty horrified getting in that cage with him.

Q: And they didn't exactly put you over big for the title.

DOC: No they friggin threw me over the cage and halfway killed me, the bastards, had to protect Ship...He made the mistake of accidentally back body dropping me over the cage...That was the booking.

Q: How bad that hurt?

DOC: Like fucking hell...I was a mark, I wanted the belt, so they basically murdered me and let me have it. I was in the hospital pissing blood for 2 days after that happened but after that I was OK...

Q: Then you had your first run with the AAWC Title. What do you remember most about that?

DOC: Jobbing to Flic Rair and having Adler no sell everything I did to him...

Q: You were unhappy after you jobbed to Rair.

DOC: Oh furious, couldn't believe I had to put him over, livid, all that standard shit, what was funny about the whole thing and I only found out about this much later, is that Schmid was just getting the title off me so that he could have a Wargames between Team Adler and Team Doc, and the finish for that was going to me submitting to the Alderlock...I can you I might have left the league if that happened, oh I was on my last nerve after jobbing to Rair, but being forced to submit to Adler right after...Oh lord...But I don't think Schmid told Adler he was going to submit me and Adler refused 100% to get into the Wargames, so his manager had to take his spot and my team won the match...Could have completely changed my career had that not gone down that way.

Q: So you get the belt back from Rair and then what happens?

DOC: Oh I go on a bender, I'm so screwed up at this point, I'm just constantly drunk, using whatever drugs I can find, I'm just a wreck, and then AAWC's taking a hit, going under, and Schmid's telling me I'm gonna go over Adler in a big 'fuck you' to him on the way out...And that doesn't happen, I gotta put Adler over, and it's done...

Q: What do you do at that point?

DOC: My parents had an intervention for me, I spent a few months drying out, it didn't stick, but I needed it at the time, odds are I'd have killed myself had they not done that.

(Coming up next, Part 2, and the debut of Garbage Doc)

No comments:

Post a Comment