Monday, March 29, 2010

The silence is deafening

Jon Katz posted a blog about a lack of discussion, and he's right that we're all lazy, but what I wanted to talk about is a lack of feedback.

Crash 50, and the three legs of the EPW/NE joint show Aggression 50, Destrucity II, and Sin City Showdown got posted, Crash 50 was a production that was 6 months in the arrival, yet when I check the feedback thread, the only detailed feedback I've seen for it was from Billy (fanatical NFW'er) and Katz himself, the fed head. Aggression 50 got detailed feedback from me, Seth, Fuse, Destrucity II got an airball, and Sin City Showdown got detailed feedback from only me and Karl Brown.

Does nobody really care about this stuff? I mean I know we all like to say we're very busy and have so much going on in our very busy lives that it's hard to meet the grueling demands to do 2-3 Rp's every month or so, (Slave driving fed-heads!) but I'd expect people to read over the cards and have a general idea of what happened, and to give their point of view on what happened, it's kind of hard for me to know if what I've written has connected with the audience if the audience never responds, and I'm sure the other card writers would feel the same way.

And the other problem with feedback is that generally the people that do give feedback are in the league, and seek to get pushed/remain in the good graces of the fed-heads, so feedback is almost always positive and anything negative is mentioned in passing. The most honest feedback would be feedback from people outside the fed who don't have a dog in the race and don't care who's feelings they hurt.

So give feedback, be honest, get something going, let's talk about this hobby we're all addicts to.




3 comments:

  1. I tend to give feedback when I feel it's relevant to me. NFW Crash 50 isn't relevant because I'm not in the league and only follow it to the extent that I generally pester you to give me a brief overview of the happenings.

    Sin City Showdown I didn't really care about because I wasn't really participating and generally, I'm not into interfed stuff. Plus, going in, you know who was going to win all the matches because half the people no-showed or just sucked serious ass. What was the point? "It appears that, in fact, the people who no-showed got their asses kicked."

    I know that I appreciate the matchwriting, but in order for it to resonate, I have to care. It's like when Michigan State beat Tennessee. Yeah, it's exciting, but they're not my horses and, in fact, have nothing to do with me or my team, so what do I care?

    General EPW cards I care about because at least I have some connection to these people. I could meet them in the future. We could feud.

    Anyway, that's just my two cents. But I'm also a selfish jerk who doesn't write cards, so take it with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason nobody writes feedback, is because nobody reads shit. The people who read tend to leave feedback, and the ones that don't...don't. I left Crash 50 feedback once I had read the entire thing (OK, I admit, I skipped Varga's stuff). As of now, the only EPW/NEW/NGEN matches I've read from the supershow were the ones I was involved in. Soon, I'll read the rest and drop feedback like I did with NFW. With smaller shows, it takes me less time (I usually leave immediate feedback when Aggression is posted).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Billy hit the nail on the head. Some of the shows are truly epic reads (I clocked Aggression 50 and Sin City Showdown as taking just over 3 hours each if they were put on IRL) and it can be difficult to sit through everything in one go. I leave feedback when I can but I've known it take me up to a week to find time to read through everything - 32000+ words is a slog on computer screens.

    Not that leaving feedback is a bad thing; it's always nice to get honest feedback. It does let matchwriters and segment writers know what people thought worked and what didn't (and if people are honest, even within the fed, then so much the better); but I never expect someone to read through an entire card and produce feedback if the card's a mega event in and of itself. For shorter cards I'd like to see more feedback given (and I'm going to start as soon as the next Warfare goes up; those cards are always shorter than the PPVs) but with longer shows? I'm just thankful people read them ^_^'

    ReplyDelete